Google
Custom Search

Friday, May 08, 2009

Intellectual freedom in Canada and elsewhere - 2 of 3

My friend, Parliamentary Press Gallery journalist Deborah Gyapong tells me "The stuff coming out of the United States is chilling, and notes "Lights are going out all over the western world."

I think Americans are handicapped by the myth of exceptionalism. They never think it will happen to them. It will. It is. Now.

Anyway, here are some of Deborah's stories:

Meet Mark Steyn's and Ezra Levant's friends and fellow bloggers in Canada. Whenever I think of my fellow free speech bloggers, I remember the haunting third stanza of our famous poem, In Flander's Fields, now seldom heard (because it is routinely left out now), but here it is:
Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders Fields.
Let me put it this way: All those men did not die so that Stalin, as opposed to Hitler, should run Europe, let alone North America.

Many of the Canadian soldiers who died had been born free in the mountains or on the open prairie, and were volunteers, not draftees. But they saw, in principle, how a person like Hitler might destroy people's lives in a way nature would not.

And a person who does not understand that does not know anything at all.

Ezra Levant as the next governor general? I would prefer he be prime minister. He is, in my view, a lion of Judah. He would soon chase the trolls back to their holes.

Strong opinions are not dead in Canada (Actually, no other type of opinion is worth considering. When was the last time you wanted to hear a 45-minute oration from Caspar Milquetoast?)

"I may have to file a hate speech complaint against myself" (From a traditional Christian perspective, I would say that we should all file hate speech complaints against ourselves. Catholics like me call that going to Confession. The real problem starts when the government gets involved, as opposed to the Church. We really must get the government out of this.)

"Human rights" commissions hijacked by extremists. (But why would that surprise anyone? The way the Commissions were set up, they are a honeypot for extremists, compared to traditional "Hizzoner/Herhonor" courts - where you had better have a real, legal case or get lost.)

Find out why there is an intelligent design controversy:

Labels: ,

Who links to me?