Google
Custom Search

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Intellectual freedom in Canada: Anti-Semitism

The Scaramouche blog is a source for intellectual freedom in Canada, and I am sorry if so much other personal stuff happened that I never got round to linking to it before.

Scaramouche ably commends Jonathan Kay of the National Post, writing on modern anti-Semitism.

In my own lifetime, which spans nearly six decades, anti-Semitism has moved from the right to the left.

When I was a child, the typical anti-Semite would be some out-of-work fool with Hitler regalia in his cockroach-infested basement apartment. How anyone could take him seriously was never clear.

Today, people march in downtown Toronto, shouting "death to you and yours," and we haven't seen anything like this since the Christie Pits riot in 1933.

(No, I wasn't around then. I'm not that old. But I did once live near the Christie Pits, in the early 1960s.)

In fact, I once came to the attention of the Toronto library system because I wanted to take Hitler's Mein Kampf out of the library. And did.

Find out why there is an intelligent design controversy:

Labels: ,

Who links to me?